This hearty and delicious meatball recipe is easy to make, and the perfect choice for hungry active kids. Topped with fresh herbs and parmesan cheese, this meal is packed with protein, flavour and sure to satisfy.
INGREDIENTS FOR MEDITERRANEAN MEATBALLS RECIPE
- Italian Sausage mince: Italian sausage mince can be find in speciality food stores or butchers. Or easily substitute with meat from Italian sausage. See instructions in notes.
- Brown onion: onion gives a subtle sweetness and depth of flavour
- Garlic: garlic adds a pungent and aromatic flavour.
- Breadcrumbs: breadcrumbs help to hold the meatballs together.
- Parsley: parsley adds a bright flavour and freshness, that compliments the other ingredients.
- Oregano: fresh oregano gives the meatballs a bold, earthy flavour, that pairs well with the tomato sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: parmesan adds a nutty, salty flavour.
- Eggs: eggs helps bind the meatballs and adds moisture to the mixture.
- Salt and pepper: salt and pepper enhance the flavour of all the other ingredients
- Olive oil: olive oil is used to cook meatballs in and adds fruity savoury flavour, depending on the type and intensity of the olive oil used.
- Crushed tomatoes: crushed tomatoes form the base of the sauce and add a bright, tangy flavour to the dish.
- Chicken stock: chicken stock adds savoury flavour to the sauce.
- Couscous: couscous is a staple food in many North African countries, such as Morocco. Couscous has become popular in many other countries, including Italy, where it is often used in Mediterranean-style dishes.
MEDITERRANEAN MEATBALLS RECIPE: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, you can substitute ground beef, lamb, pork or a combination of ground meats for the Italian sausage mince. However this will change the flavour of the meatballs. Adding seasonings such as fennel, paprika and garlic to the ground meat, will achieve a similar flavour.
Yes, you can use a different type of cheese, such as pecorino romano, instead of Parmesan. However, this will also change the flavour of the dish.
Yes, you can make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze them for up to 3 months. To do this, simply prepare the meatballs as directed in the recipe, then arrange them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer the meatballs to a resealable freezer bag and store them in the freezer until ready to use. Defrost overnight in a fridge, it is not recommended to defrost the meatballs at room temperature.
Yes, you can use canned tomato sauce instead of crushed tomatoes if that is what you have on hand. However, this may change the texture of the sauce.
Yes, you can use a different type of herb, such as fresh basil or thyme, instead of the oregano if you prefer. However, this will change the flavor of the dish.