Close your eyes and take a stroll with me through the narrow streets of a Tuscan village. Feel the cobblestones beneath your feet as the aroma of fennel and sage wafts through the air. With each mouthful, let this Creamy Tuscan Sausage Rigatoni with sage transport you straight to Northern Italy. The velvety sage-infused cream, the rich earthiness of fennel sausage, and the savoury Parmesan cheese combine to whisk you away, allowing you to taste Italy from the comfort of your own home.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS TUSCAN SAUSAGE RIGATONI
- Olive oil: Use olive oil for cooking, adding a flavourful touch to the dish.
- Onion: Finely chop yellow or brown onion to create a savoury and aromatic base for the recipe.
- Garlic: Crush cloves of garlic to infuse the dish with a delicious burst of flavour.
- Italian sausages: Remove the casings from the Italian sausages before using it in this recipe. Italian sausage adds a savory and meaty element.
- Sage leaves: Finely dice fresh sage leaves, adding a fragrant and earthy taste that enhances the depth of the dish.
- Heavy cream: A creamy and rich ingredient that forms the base of the sauce, lending a velvety texture to the recipe..
- Rigatoni: Rigatoni pasta is a tube-shaped variety with ridges that perfectly hold the sauce and provide a satisfying bite.
- Parmesan cheese: Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top of the dish when serving, adding a salty and nutty flavor to enhance the final taste.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, you can use any type of pasta you prefer. However, rigatoni works well because its grooves help the sauce stick better.
Absolutely! If you prefer a lighter option, you can use alternatives like half-and-half, light cream, or non-dairy milk such as almond milk. Keep in mind that this may affect the richness and texture of the sauce.
To make a vegetarian version, you can substitute the Italian sausage with plant-based alternatives or add extra vegetables like mushrooms or bell peppers. For a vegan adaptation, choose vegan sausage and use plant-based cream or a combination of non-dairy milk and vegan butter.
Yes, you can prepare the sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Cook the pasta separately and combine them when you’re ready to serve. Just note that reheating the dish may require adding a bit of liquid to loosen the sauce.
You can serve a variety of side dishes such as a simple green salad, roasted vegetables, or garlic bread to complement the Creamy Tuscan Sausage Rigatoni. These options add freshness and additional flavours to the meal.